Job Type: Contract
Job Industry: Educations
Contact Name: Lois Holness
Job Location: Hertfordshire
Job Title: Senior Payroll Officer
Job Salary: £31,000 - £33,000 Per Annum
Job Start Date:
My client is looking for a senior payroll officer to join their team – respectable education client offering hybrid working.
Public sector background desirable
Experience in processing High volumes and multiple payrolls is essential
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
* To understand fully the legislation and compliance requirements required in processing payrolls and to undertake manual calculations with confidence.
* To uphold an effective and efficient provision of payroll services , ensuring that services are delivered to meet legislative, business and customer requirements, within relevant timescales. in relation to: o Import of electronic notifications from HMRC. o Salary sacrifice arrangements (childcare, cycle2work scheme). o Import of Visiting Lecturer (VL) hours electronic timesheets. o Import of Casual hours electronic timesheets. o Import of prepared spreadsheets (eg: overtime). o Monthly financial reporting. Treasury Team release of generated and approved payment files. o Reconciliation of values due to HMRC and third-party payments. o HMRC Real Time Information (RTI) for FPS and EPS submission. o Tax year end reconciliation, processes and adjustments.
* System upgrades and minor releases. o Annual pay award system amendments.
* Support the payroll team members to manage their workload in a timely manner, giving clear guidance on the expected processing dates of each pay group in accordance with the payroll cycle, including:
* Statutory & Occupational Sick Pay and entitlements.
* Statutory & Occupational Maternity Pay & Leave, KIT days.
* Statutory & Occupational Paternity Pay & Leave.
* Starters, leavers, contractual changes and salary approvals.
* Deductions (eg: court orders)
* National Insurance Category and age changes
* To take a lead role through to resolution when errors in payment occur (under or overpayments) including re-calculation. To complete the required system adjustments for tax, NI, pension and any deduction through the payroll to ensure the individuals cumulative values are correct.
* To manage and resolve queries received in payroll email box. Distribute queries to other members of the Payroll Team if required. To support payroll team members with payroll queries that may arise from employees, departments and other external providers.
* To act as a point of contact for Managers and Staff as part of the Payroll Team.
* To meet levels of service as agreed in the Department’s Service Level Agreement reporting any potential problems to the Head of Pay & Pensions. To maintain confidentiality at all levels and protect payroll operations by keeping information confidential, adhering to GDPR regulations.
* Oversight of staff issues for those within the allocated group including excellent people management, appointment, probation, appraisal, development, promotion and progression, review of performance according to policies and procedures agreed by the Client
* Maintenance of records of staff development activities
* Oversight and monitoring of staff workloads in order to ensure an equitable distribution of staff loadings across the staff group and the most effective use of staff resources
* Ensuring talented staff in the groups are recognised, rewarded and retained so ensuring that suitable succession plans are in place
* The visible commitment, management and maintenance of high standards of safety throughout their domain commensurate with current Health and Safety legislation and with the Health and Safety policy
* Identify achievable equality goals
* The Senior Payroll Officer formally reports to the Head of Pay & Pensions and will work closely with members of the Payroll, Pension & Expense Team and the wider Finance Department.
* Work closely with all teams in the HR Department. The post holder will operate with a reasonable degree of autonomy in carrying out the above responsibilities.
* Oversee 2 Payroll Officers – The post holder would be expected to give supervision as a senior member of the Payroll team in supporting the team to meet its objectives and timescales and to support induction and delivery of training.
45756LH / INDPAY